Tuesday, February 17, 2009

bʊk (because I couldn't think of anything else)


Oh, how I love books. Recently, on a visit to D.C., I was able to see Thomas Jefferson's personal collection in the Library of Congress. Granted, a heap of it was lost in a fire, but what's left is still an exhibit worth seeing. I sincerely hope that one day in my own home, I have a magnificent library, complete with the Beauty and the Beast-esque ladder, filled with books from the Wilder Shores of Gastronomy to Notes from Underground to some book on ancient herbal remedies from Nepal. In my opinion, even with all the modern technology, there are not many things that truly exercise our brain and expand our intellectual capabilities as reading a good book. So, you say, "I know I should read, but I haven't read anything in awhile and I don't know where to start." Luckily for you, I'm here to offer a couple of my personal favorites to get you moving.

  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky - I don't want to give too much away but essentially, it's a magnificent story, told from a killer's point of view, about the mental anguish that comes with committing a heinous crime. One of the most beautiful epilogues I have ever read.
  • The Road by Cormac McCarthy - A post-apocalyptic novel that follows a father and son through the now ashy east Tennessee as they attempt to make their way to the coast. McCarthy's writing style is a story in itself. He blatantly and intentionally ignores the rules of grammar, which, if you haven't read any of his books before, can be a bit odd at first. Eventually, however, you will get used to it and even appreciate it's uniqueness and readability.
  • The Reason For God by Timothy Keller - Finally! An intellectual Christian writer who wasn't born before 1900!
  • Cather in the Rye by J.D. Salinger - One of my all-time favorite books; it follows Holden Caulfield, who after learning that he was expelled from yet another school, decides to take a trip to New York City for a couple of days before his parents find out. Salinger's sarcastic writing style is downright hilarious and one can't help but wonder if Holden is just a mirror image of himself as a teenager. On the outside it seems as if Holden hates everyone and everything, but the more you read, the more you realize that his heart is good and there are certain people he has the utmost respect for. "I felt like jumping out the window. I probably would've, too, if I'd been sure somebody'd cover me up as soon as I landed. I didn't want a bunch of stupid rubbernecks looking at me when I was all gory."
  • Harry Potter (series) by J.K. Rowling - Love it or hate but, chances are, if you hate it, you probably haven't read it.

No comments: